Re: [Xen-users] Re: Using Xen on GNBD

To: Martin Leben <ml060223@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Using Xen on GNBD
From: Gareth Bult <gareth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:21:11 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:20:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> <http://sourceware.org/cluster/gnbd/faq.html> says:
>    1.  Can I use a disk that I'm exporting with GNBD locally?
>
> This should work provided you don't turn gnbd caching on, but it is untested.
> Use at your own risk. Also note that if you lose a node, the other node
> doesn't have access to part of it's block device.

Yeah .. being a bit dim I didn't read that .. (!)

The problem was at that stage that you can't run gnbd without caching unless
you run the entire RH cluster suite.
(that and the use of "should" and "risk" wasn't entirely helpful)

The main problem seems to be a lack of definitive documentation re; clustering
filesystems / shared media and the best way(s) to use them. Indeed to seems to
be strictly within the domain of large organisations who appear to keep the
inner workings of their clusters fairly close to their chests ...

When I say "use" I mean in a production sense, rather than being able to show
something apparently "works" ... which seems to be all most people are doing
re; small scale solutions ...

> Exporting a block device from a Dom0 to another Dom0, then running a DomU on
> it works fine for me.
> However, if I want to migrate the DomU to the machine hosting the gnbd
> server, I seem to have problems.

Hi,

It looks like you are in unchartered territory.
<http://sourceware.org/cluster/gnbd/faq.html> says:

>    1.  Can I use a disk that I'm exporting with GNBD locally?
>
>       This should work provided you don't turn gnbd caching on, but it is
> untested. Use at your own risk. Also note that if you lose a node, the other
> node doesn't have access to part of it's block device.

BR
/Martin Leben