Re: [Xen-users] Xen guest nfs client not responding

To: "Mark Furner" <mark.furner@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen guest nfs client not responding
From: tmac <tmacmd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 08:23:36 -0500
Cc: Xen-Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 05:24:14 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=nPtKmktMdNipA+Y1I2Iyu9iizehi47p6vi6jjWow8aY=; b=QEik4y5DEPTDWXUSQqs+sKUDyX018pYAabqhRrvjoEHiha+UnjC2pV/todNaJPrbFvfaeqUFDrrKby3BwaqXczQopXJ+dJ5jUHTYthFif8gCdyYfAxoeyz6edu1VnMNKQkcMmUgUyyOpQ7XposIDGOMEugv7Gk2zynna9rML4Og=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
it could be a few different things...

1. check the physical cables. use a good, comprehensive tester (not those cheap testers)
-> make sure there is no physical damage to the cable
-> make sure the ends are crimped properly (sheath is under the rj45 pincher)
2. Verify the capability of your NFS server. Many NFS server based on general purpose OS's
cannot do more than an 8K rsize/wsize. You must adjust your client to match.
-> if you have a netapp, the default could be 8K or 32K. run "options nfs" to find out
3. Verify the connectivity at the switches.
-> Make sure there are no duplex mismatches. (this should not happen at Gige, but happens all the time on 100BT)
-> If using GigE, verify Flow Control and, if possible, set it to on in both directions.
---> some switches do not support flow control in both directions

Hope this helps...

--tmac