Re: [Xen-users] Re; Dom0 Kernels ..

To: Tait Clarridge <Tait.Clarridge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re; Dom0 Kernels ..
From: Gareth Bult <gareth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:55:17 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: Xen-Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gluster-devel Glister Devel List <gluster-devel@xxxxxxxxxx>, Gareth Bult <gareth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:55:57 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

My understanding is that "file" is deprecated as it runs on a loopback
filesystem which does not flush it's cache until unmountd, which can cause
massive data loss if the host crashes.

Not that it makes any difference to the gluster problem, but I actually need
ioemu because I'm running software raid inside the DomU and it needs the
partition types to auto-mount the root-filesystem off /dev/md0.

If my understanding is correct, I'm using PV, has HVM is used for Windows (?)

My other problem is also probably a "file:" issue.

If I run on file: (which does work) then kill off a gluster server, the DomU
correctly fails a drive.

Ideally I would then use xm block-detach and xm block attach to "unfail" the
device and "mdadm --re-add /dev/md0 /dev/xvda1" to get the raid re-syncing.
However, xm block-detach fails to work properly .. eventually it will kill off
the loopback device but it won't unregister the "xvda" device from the kernel
.. so you can re-attach the filesyste, as say xvdc, but this is very messy.
After enough reboots one would run out of devices ...

(!)

AIO is doing *something* gluster can't handle .. if I could find out what it is
I'd stand a chance of fixing it.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about fuse or AIO to even guess beyond
confirming it's not an "async" or "directiO" issue as far as I can tell.