Re: [Xen-users] Backup domU xen

To: Pascal Nobus <pascal@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Backup domU xen
From: Marc Patino Gómez <mpatino@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:45:41 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 03:44:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I used these steps to backup my domUs and never I had this problem.

Pascal Nobus wrote:
.... seem to be a never ending story ...
I've found the problem of my crashes (two days on a row now).

I'm using lvm2 as a filesystem, and was doing backup's like this:
- take a snapshot of a running system
- mount the snapshot
- rsync the snapshot to my backup-partition.
- umount the snapshot
- remove the snaphost
Have your dom0 enough memory? Snapshots requires some aditional memory, so if you had your dom0 limited to 256MB of RAM it could be a problem.

To prevent a not responding system you can use "renice" command to schedule rsync command with low priority.

If you can post more info, like log output of the crash , probably someone in the list could help you.

Regards,

Marc

This resulted in a huge load, which was increased 1 hour later, and resulted in a not-responding system.

I googled now for 2 days, and found many discussions, but I cannot find a proper and stable solution. Should I maybe just mount the domU over the network (portmap) to have a non-crashing solution?

Best regards,
Pascal