Re: [Xen-users] Xen Disk I/O performance vs native performance

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Disk I/O performance vs native performance
From: Sami Dalouche <skoobi@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:36:35 +0100
Cc: Christophe Clapp <christophe.clapp@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Florent Valdelièvre <Florent.Valdelievre@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:37:32 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

1) this is comparing Xen dom0 with native linux running on the same
partition / LVM volume on the same machine

I did a simple dd :
dd if=/dev/zero of=./t bs=1k count=1048576

Dom0 :
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.21037 seconds, 117 MB/s

DomU :
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 17.2537 seconds, 62.2 MB/s

The writes are done on the exact same partition, and is consistent (did
it several times). (the 117MB is achieved by shutting down the DomU,
mounting its partition, and running the dd.) the 62 MB is achieved
directly from the DomU..

So, it's not exactly 3 times slower for this case, but I'm pretty sure
that for real applications, lots of small writes or reads, etc, the
behavior is just worse.. so it's definitely between 2 and 3 times slower
on the DomU than on the Dom0.

3] Raid 5 is implemented in hardware, using a 3DM card. I have 8 disks
that are configured in RAID 5 using auto-carving (so it makes 2 physical
disks for the system, which are LVM'ed together).
The whole LVM disk space is then split into logical volumes, and I have
one LV per VM.

so for instance, I have a LV :
/dev/system/blueedge_root

which is referenced as :
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-xen"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-xen"
builder='linux'
memory = 512
name = "blueedge"
vcpus = 0
vif = ['mac=02:00:00:00:00:01, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/mapper/system-blueedge_root,hda1,w']
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"
extra = 'console=xvc0'
#extra='xenconsole=tty'
extra='xencons=tty'

4] nothing interesting in dmesg. and these performance problems have
been consistent over the past few months...

I'll try your VMKNOPPIX thing next time I physically go to the server. I
should be able to post results about this later this week-end.

thanks a lot for your help,
regards,
Sami Dalouche