Re: [Xen-users] cannot ping after xen install

To: Zoran Kikic <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>, Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] cannot ping after xen install
From: Ralf Schenk <rs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:49:57 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:50:33 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=databay.de; s=mail200801; t=1200905399; bh=H5hpm/1yTcNG7mEogxbVrvN5II5CvCPjfgE8 9bLKhwc=; h=Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject: References:In-Reply-To:X-Enigmail-Version:Content-Type: Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Virus-Scanned; b=Vk+O2dHtZ7bowkSdMINyo PssJaYW3y7OX5t9/4+XZj/nPzzWb1s85cRKiEvEmE1kTGoCYNXOY6tfMolmTfQCQl85 wOXdm24Qbay2whv44MWMweOcoqDDLggzaTvXbaSSbbqtZ8C9joAjBaYguHTRpmjUYXu TEUeC9FIvExo7lOk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zoran Kikic schrieb:
I installed 3.2 on a Ubuntu gutsy (7.10 / AMD64) server and everything
looks fine. Xen booting up without errors or warnings but ping fails
when I try to ping a machine in my network. 8 pings are OK but the ninth
hangs for about 3000ms, the next 8 or 10 pings are normal and so on..
The dom0 itself is in that time not pingable from network. Well, that's
not all... I just have to wait long enough (about 10 min.) and sometimes
a miracle happen and everything works...

Hello !

I've had exactly the same issue (also 8! pings). Has your hardware modern e1000 based network interfaces ?

I think the e1000 driver (Version 7.1.9-k4-NAPI) included in XEN's kernel 2.6.18.8 has problems with some of the later Chipsets. I compile the driver (for me Version 7.4.35-NAPI) externally and copy it into the lib/modules... tree.

That solved my problem.

Ralf Schenk
fon (02 41) 9 91 21-0
fax (02 41) 9 91 21-59
rs@xxxxxxxxxx

Databay AG
Hüttenstraße 7
D-52068 Aachen
www.databay.de

Vorstand: Jens Conze, Ralf Schenk, Aresch Yavari
Aufsichtsratvorsitzender: Ansgar Vögeli

Sitz/Amtsgericht Aachen
HRB:8437
USt-IdNr.: DE 210844202

Databay - einfach machen.

Diese E-Mail und etwa angehängte Dateien enthalten vertrauliche
Informationen und sind ausschließlich für den Adressaten bestimmt.
Sollten Sie irrtümlich diese E-Mail erhalten haben, bitten wir Sie,
uns darüber unter info@xxxxxxxxxx zu informieren und die E-Mail
aus Ihrem System zu löschen.

info@xxxxxxxxxxx If you are not the named recipient, you should return
this message and delete it from your system.