Re: [Xen-users] Can Ubuntu HVM guests be installed on a loopback fs imag

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can Ubuntu HVM guests be installed on a loopback fs image?
From: Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:54:10 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:54:48 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:02:53 +0530
"pradeep singh rautela" <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can Ubuntu HVM guests be installed on a loopback fs image?
> Just like images on jailtime.org? I mean e.g Ubuntu 7.10 image?
> Canonical makes really weird alternate.iso which is unbootable undera
> HVM for installation to a file.
> It hangs at loading isolinux.... :(

I've been trying to install ubuntu 7.10 HVM guests under the Xen
running on a sles10sp1 64 bit host. My results:

The live CD images get to the ubuntu screen with the orange progress
bouncer running forever and stay there as long as I care to wait.

The alternate-desktop text mode installer iso images work Ok installing
a 32 bit ubuntu HVM, but the 64 bit HVM install crashes the virtual machine
instantly as it loads the linux kernel it is gonna use during the install.

Meanwhile, the 32 bit ubuntu I did get to install hangs as soon as I
try to do anything at all (like download updates) with the virt-manager
app showing it pegged at 100% and the virtual console window non-responsive.

So I haven't had much ubuntu success under xen :-).