Re: [Xen-users] Problem compiling with vSMP cpu architecture support

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problem compiling with vSMP cpu architecture support
From: rargh <rargh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:06:00 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:07:36 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm not familiar with ScaleMP / vSMP but it seems like it's a different
> machine type, with a different architecture for large scale SMP systems,
> right?

About right, except it also fully supports amd64/em64t.

> This sounds like infrastructure that Xen itself would need to support, since
> Xen is responsible for many of the lowlevel details of the underlying system.
>
> Simply compiling the infrastructure into the guest would not suffice to make
> Xen work right on that architecture.

Well, guess I'm lucky I still haven't ordered all those machines...I'll
just have to wait then.

> Furthermore, it looks like the ScaleMP architecture patches are incompatible
> with the Xen patches, which is causing your compile error.  However, given
> there are likely to be deeper problems with this approach I'm not sure that
> getting the compilation to work would solve your problem...
>
> Out of interest, does Xen itself actually boot on this system?

Since vSMP fully supports, in my case, em64t, and since I've compiled
the xen kernel for a generic amd64 architecture, yes it does -for a
single machine cluster, infortunately not what I intended in the first
place-.

Thanks for you answers,

-Oliver.