Re: [Xen-users] HP Proliant DL145g3, xen-3.1.0 and SVM

To: Lamont Granquist <lamont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HP Proliant DL145g3, xen-3.1.0 and SVM
From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:45:58 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:47:44 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> (XEN) AMD SVM Extension is disabled in BIOS.
>
> I went through the trouble of commenting out the check in the xen kernel
> for the bios disable flag and basically lie to xen and it panics
> horribly on boot.

As expected. You can't paint a traffic light green and expect not to crash ;)

> I've also flashed the bios to the latest version from the hp site as of
> today and gone through it hunting for anything to do with
> virtualization, but can't find an option there.  I've also had someone
> else look for the option and he failed to find it as well.
>
> At this point have I conclusively determined that the problem lies in
> HP's BIOS and not having anything to do with Xen?

I don't know how the bios of this particular proliant model is setup, but
an all recent x86 platforms i've seen so long, there is the need of turning
on svm (amd) or vmx (intel) at the bios. I've never had problems with
supermicro or tyan, but there have been discussions on the list which
generally shows that if there's no bios option, there's no svm/vmx at all.

Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054