Re: Re: [Xen-users] Time went backwards

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re: [Xen-users] Time went backwards
From: Chris Epicier <seuchato@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 06:25:19 +0100 (CET)
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:26:16 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> I would strongly advise not doing this, and instead
running an
> ntpd.  That goes for both Xen and non-Xen machines.

> Not only can ntpdate cause the clock to step
backwards, but if one
> of the servers you list had its clock set wildly
wrong then yours
> would get set wildly wrong too if it ever ran
ntpdate against it.

> In theory a domU is supposed to keep its clock
locked to that of the
> dom0, so one only needs to run ntpd in dom0.

> However I have never found that to be reliable so
have had to set
> /proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock to 1 and run
ntpd in every domU
> also.

I had done this uccessfully (added it to
/etc/init.d/boot.local script "echo -n 1 >
/proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock"). However, when I
reboot dom0, the problem reapears for all domU's that
were saved. rebooting them solves the problem, but I
do not want to reboot all my domU's. Any ideas how to
solve it for saved domU's?

my setup: Suse 10.3, asus M2N WS Pro, AMD X2 64, 4G
Ram

best regards chris

Cheers,
Andy