Re: [Xen-users] Problems converting FC8 HVM guest to PV

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problems converting FC8 HVM guest to PV
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 17:17:58 +0000
Cc: Evan Lavelle <sa212+xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:18:31 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Thursday 27 December 2007 06:35:54 pm Evan Lavelle wrote:
> > title Fedora (2.6.21-2952.fc8xen.xenblk)
> >   root (hd0,0)
> >   kernel /xen.gz-2.6.21-2952.fc8
> >   module /vmlinuz-2.6.21-2952.fc8xen ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> >   module /initrd-2.6.21-2952.fc8xen.xenblk.img
>
> Since it's likely to be slow on the list now, I'll give this a stab, tho'
> I'll warn you I haven't actually done this myself. However, some things
> stand out:
>
> The reason Plan A didn't work is you can't load the xen hypervisor (xen.gz)
> inside a domu. Try deleting the 'kernel /xen.gz...' line and
> change 'module /vmlinuz...' to 'kernel /vmlinuz...'. I personally would use
> the original fc8 /initrd-2.6.21-2952.fc8xen.img. At a minimum, a custom
> initrd also has to have '--preload=xennet'.

Don't you get some kind of Xennified initrd installed with the kernel RPM?
I'd have thought Fedora would supply a sane default one?

> The basic problem with your other plans is it looks like the hvm install
> created a whole disk (hda) with an fc8 partition on it in, presumably hda1.
> I don't know if specifying hda in the disk= parm and root='hda1 ro' will
> work in Plan B, but it's closer to what you mean.

Yeah, that works.  If you're converting HVM->PV you'll need to still pass the
VBD through as a whole disk so that the guest can read its partition table.

If you need to mount partitions out of it, you can use the "lomount" tool
that's supplied with Xen (originally came from Qemu) or you can use kpartx.

> If you get something to work, presumably with the help of someone wiser
> than me ;-), you will also want to eventually replace hda* with xvda*.

Yes, that's true too.

Good advice!

Cheers,
Mark