[Xen-users] Howto: change CD during an HVM install

To: Xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Howto: change CD during an HVM install
From: Evan Lavelle <sa212+xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:49:39 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 03:50:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Heads up for anyone who's stuck with trying to change a CD half-way through an HVM installation; I couldn't find an answer to this on Google.

1 - just changing the file which contains the ISO image does nothing

2 - in principle, you can get into the Qemu monitor from your installation Window, and change the disk from the monitor. You should apparently type CTL-ALT-2 to enter the monitor, or CTL CTL CTL-ALT-2. This doesn't work for me - has this been removed from current Xens? There was some concern about security issues on the devel mailing list.

3 - the xm way (doesn't work):

> /usr/sbin/xm block-list -l xm_domain_name

find the entry which include "(device-type cdrom)", note the number at the beginning of this entry (in my case, 5632).

> /usr/sbin/xm block-detach xm-domain-name 5632
> /usr/sbin/xm block-attach xm-domain-name file://path/to/my/ISO /dev/hdc r

Note that the mode is 'r', not 'ro'; the man page is wrong. This doesn't work, and you get an error message on the block-attach; the man page says that block-detach is "currently" broken. If you do a block-list after the block-detach you'll see that nothing's changed.

4 - the virsh way (does work):

> virsh list

get the Id number of your domain from the first column

> virsh detach-disk Id-number hdc
> virsh attach-disk Id-number /path/to/your/new/ISO hdc --driver file --type cdrom --mode readonly

Evan