Re: [Xen-users] Xen Configuration questions

To: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Configuration questions
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:57:37 +0000
Cc: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 15:58:36 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=W8BxmeGhrRD9n8YboMZCqON4/59Oh+T9OWU0E8MWXQE=; b=YlZ9fPcE+YXcAveEXqQk3/TRXz6WVsqtWxe71/GiFhk91MzuzKmmm74bcd58GPLmcvXR41wpV/sTUpJzDyrF34wlFeV6stVs0WlaMdMbeelKPRht8Vg7k/M6G6CqX/gFQpq1nTEy3C6sjDUseXBde2Dms51r8GZo90+1gtWA6Ng=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Joseph L. Casale wrote:
1). Is RHEL & Xen ready for prime time?  (is it production ready, will
I sleep at night?)

2). Each Xen instance will have a LUN on the iSCSI.  Should I connect
the LUN on Domain0 and then have the DomU load it or  should I have
each DomU run iSCSI directly with the SAN?  I want to enable live
migrate between the blades.

3). Are there any pre-built Xen 'Appliances' for common things like
DNS resolvers?

4). Should I use rsync between the blades to syn the xen configs to I
can live migrate guest machines between the blades?

My primary concern is #1, if it isn't stable I'll look to VMWare or
Virtuozzo.  I have a machine running Virtuozzo already and it works
ok,  Would rather run something open though,  Linux has served me well
the last 17 years.

-Matt

I too am curious about these exact questions. I am new to both Linux and Xen
though. I can say I have used vmware for these same platforms in your exact
scenario with an iSCSI san but am wanting to move to Xen for cost reasons. If
you find the answers to these questions off list, kindly update the thread as I
am anxiously awaiting direction from experienced users myself :)
I've been using RHEL 5 for Xen servers in production. I don't live-migrate right now because I'm not using (or rather, didn't use in my last contract) network based Xen images, but I did keep the configurations distributed on all the servers for load balancing and restoration from backup.

I'm not aware of Xen appliances, but for DNS servers you can use a stripped down RHEL with bind and nscd pretty trivially. Stripping an RHEL system to bare bones is a pain due to the dependency hel and massive overpopulation of the "Basic" installation. Frankly, a bare-bones install doesn't even need Perl, but try teaching the RPM dependency tree not do that. And try telling an RHEL installer that no, you don't *WANT* NIS and PCMCIA and Bluetooth and a bunch of other silly things in a Xen environment.