Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu guest domain on Fedora host (dom0) domain

To: Julius Spencer <jspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu guest domain on Fedora host (dom0) domain
From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:33:32 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:34:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Julius Spencer schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu server as a guest on a Fedora host domain
> (dom0).
>
> I don't understand the functions of the guest's initrd and the guest's
> kernel well enough to know which kernel I should be using. Should I use
> the Fedora based domU kernel (which matches the dom0 one) or Ubuntu's
> kernel?
>
> If I install using debootstrap would I need to swap out the kernel
> provided with an Ubuntu one which has been xenified?
Not neccessarily, if your fine with the fedora kernel, just copy
dom0's /lib/modules/`uname -r` into the domU image.

I assume Ubuntu would run on fedora kernel. If you want to keep your domU
distro "clean", then I would suggest to
        - copy domU's kernel and initrd at some place in dom0
or
        - keep it in domU and use pygrub

If you decide to use the recent ubuntu -xen kernel, disable the hwclock*
init scripts in domU and add

extra = 'xencons=tty'

to your domU cfg file, as the ubuntu kernel defaults to xvc0.

Regards,
Stephan

> Thanks for any help.

Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054