Re: [Xen-users] multiple dom0s

Hi Mark,

I agree with your definition for dom0 (" dom0 is much like a domU but it is special in a number of ways ...")

But, there is an alternative way , you can use a domU as an "halted" dom0, and when your dom0 crashed you can boot your system with domU as a dom0 (and your dom0 as a domU).

I have a domU system (based on LVM partition) so I changed my menu.lst file (grub.conf) to :

title 2.6.18-xen31
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen-3.1.0.gz dom0_mem=256M
        #module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 selinux=0
        #module /initrd-2.6.18-xen.img
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 selinux=0
        module /initrd-2.6.18-xen.img

(LogVol00 is my root file system for the original dom0 and LogVol2 is the domU root file system)

a better way to do it is something like:

title 2.6.18-xen31
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen-3.1.0.gz dom0_mem=256M
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 selinux=0
        module /initrd-2.6.18-xen.img
title 2 (alternative system)
        kernel / xen-3.10.gz .....
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 selinux=0
        module /initrd-2.6.18-xen.img

(and, of course you need to install xend in your domU )

In regular my domU serving as a domU system but,  when I have a problem in my dom0, I can reboot my system and use my domU as a "rescue" environment or alternative dom0 system .

I don't know if its stable enough ... I just tried  it in the first time.

Any comments ?

- Doron

Mark Williamson wrote:

I loaded pciback module using modprobe and tried to unbind a pci device
(IDE controller with pci id --00:1f.1) from PIIX_IDE and bind it to
pciback. But it is giving error " write error: no such device".

Please remember that you shouldn't try and do this with a device you need to
use in dom0.  You can only do it with "spare" devices that dom0 doesn't need
to use in order to run (e.g. the IDE controller with dom0's disk attached
can't be passed through).  Whilst you're playing around with PCI device
assignment you would ideally use a testing machine that you don't care about,
in case you get something wrong.  Don't learn this stuff on an important
machine if you can help it!

If you want to pass a device through you need to make sure that a normal
driver in domain 0 does not grab it, otherwise pciback won't be able to seize
it.  This is quite a common problem, since the hotplug routines are very good
at loading the "real" device driver automatically, which is usually what you
want - but not in this case!

To make sure pciback does get the device you can do one of the following:

a) follow the instructions in section 1.ii at
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Assign_hardware_to_DomU_with_PCIBack_as_module
to manually unbind the device from the current driver and rebind to pciback
b) use the instructions in section 2 at the wiki page to modify modprobe.conf
to make sure that pciback gets a chance to grab the device before the normal
driver for that device does
c) compile pciback statically into the kernel and then put a pciback.hide
directive onto your kernel command line and reboot

I'd start off with a).  Using the instructions on the wiki page you can
manually unbind the device from whatever its current driver is.  In this
particular case I think the following command should do that for you:

echo -n "0000:00:1f.1" > "/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1f.1/driver/unbind"

That command is just a shorthand for what the instructions on the wiki do.

Then issue your other commands again:

I am using following command to bind the device....

 echo -n 0000:00:1f.1 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/new_slot
 echo -n 0000:00:1f.1 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/bind

and see if this works better.

Cheers,
Mark

Why it is giving such error?