Re: [Xen-users] Re: About swiotlb and " ...PCI-DMA: Out ofSW-IOMMU..."er

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: About swiotlb and " ...PCI-DMA: Out ofSW-IOMMU..."error
From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 14:51:18 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 06:52:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

as i'm going to install a bunch of new servers with xen 3.1.2, i'm really
interested in which setup this Out of SW-IOMMU error occurs.

Recent posts on xen-devel and xen-user are not really clear about the used
hardware, the xen version and the dom0 kernel.

To collect some statements:
- It occurs when using 3ware controller on xen 3.1.2 with bundled 2.6.18
- It occurs when using more than 2 G Ram (in dom0 ?)
- It has to do with the used memory model (maybe only on 64bit xen ?)
- One could ommit the error by limiting dom0 max_mem
- It occurs when a pciback.hide()/pci=[] routed physical device is used
  by buggy domU drivers (seen on the list w/. Infiniband card)

My favorite installation would be xen 3.1.2 64bit w/ bundled (and slightly
patched to support areca raid) 2.6.18 64bit dom0, running 32bit PAE
domU's without any physical device access.
The machines are dual Quad Xeons equipped w/ 32G Ram and areca raid controller.

As I do not want to waste time building packages just to end up with this
strange error, could you please shed some light on me?

Thanks in advance

Stephan