Re: [Xen-users] iozone on HVM guest

To: "Ofek Doron [Ofek BIZ]" <doron@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] iozone on HVM guest
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:28:04 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 02:28:49 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:48:52AM +0200, Ofek Doron [Ofek BIZ] wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am looking for information / results of iozone in a linux HVM based
> guest.
> I tried google but didn't find .
> Does anyone have a link (or file) to such kind of information ?
>
> also, looking for objective information about I/O performance in a
> paravirtual guest vs. HVM based guest.

Some results with Oracle OLTP workload:

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/20/red-hat-enterprise-linux-51-utilizes-nested-paging-on-amd-barcelona-processor-to-improve-performance-of-virtualized-guests/

Some other workloads might and will be different.

PV guest is 91% of the baremetal speed, and HVM guest _with_ PV drivers
(important!) is 75% of the speed of baremetal.

HVM guest performance without PV drivers will be sucky, so make sure you're
using them.

-- Pasi