Re: [Xen-users] freely available vmware converter like application?

To: Riccardo Veraldi <Riccardo.Veraldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] freely available vmware converter like application?
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 23:06:55 +0200
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>, Fulvio Ricciardi <Fulvio.Ricciardi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:03:39 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On So, Dez 02, 2007 at 08:33:41 +0100, Riccardo Veraldi wrote:

> you could use dd+netcat and you cna clone anything.

Also you can export disk of the installed system
via AoE (or something similar).

Here is the page [1] (its is Russian, but commands
and configs can be read), that describes
how to boot the old system via PXE (of course you can use Live CD
too), export its disk via AoE and run in the HVM domain
on the Xen system. (Also you may also copy disk via dd and even via
cat.)

[1] http://xgu.ru/wiki/Xen/export

> start with a linux live CD on the PC where you have windows installed.
> OR just attach the windows disk to a linux PC then prepare another Linux
> machine (your dom0)
> on the network a file where you will host your windows HVM virtualized
> system.
>
> use dd to read the windows partition (for example /dev/hda) and with netcat
> you just
> inject the dd read bytes to your linux machine (dom0) with a netcat server
> listening and redirect it
> into a file that will become at the end your  Windows boot image file.
>
> I did not try it yet but I  plan to do it soon.
>

> Rick
>
> Emre Erenoglu ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to convert a physical windows system (my notebook for
>> example) to XEN HVM domU. Is it possible using some freely available
>> tool?  (just like vmware converter).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Emre Erenoglu