Re: [Xen-users] domU has better I/O performance than dom0?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU has better I/O performance than dom0?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 04:01:08 +0000
Cc: Troels Arvin <troels@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:09:47 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't have an explanation, but I can tell you that when we first tested the
current IO architecture (which was before Xen 2 was released) we found that
performance on /certain benchmarks/ could be improved in the domU relative to
both dom0 and to native execution.  We never traced down exactly why this was
happening, but suspected it was somehow due to the two layers of IO that were
going on (e.g. perhaps a fortuitous interaction of the schedulers in dom0 and
domU, some weird behaviour of the Linux IO stack).

Nonetheless I'm not surprised if some operations are still faster in dom0 - it
does, after all, have less layers to pass through to perform the IO.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!