Re: [Xen-users] access to physical cpu in domU without passing through d

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kin2031@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] access to physical cpu in domU without passing through dom0
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 02:52:45 +0000
Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:53:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> hi, i am a new member here.

Hi, welcome.

>   Here's my question. As i know although i can assign the domU a specific
> physical CPU in Xen, but the task of domU still will pass through the
> dom0's scheduler before it goes into it's CPU. So, is it possible to
> directly schedule the domU's task into the physical CPU?

Actually, it won't go through dom0's scheduler; dom0's scheduler just
schedules Linux tasks for dom0.  The domU will still have to go through Xen's
domain scheduler.  However, if you assign a CPU exclusively to the domU and
make sure nothing else runs on it then that's as close you can get to giving
the domU total ownership of the CPU.  It should be pretty good.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!