[Xen-users] Re: How can I do HA among dom0s?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: How can I do HA among dom0s?
From: António Meireles <sbin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 13:21:28 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 05:31:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm being using a setup similar to the one described here - http://www.certifried.com/?q=node/4 - with great success for months.

All the Best,

António

Miguel Araujo wrote:
Hello all,

I'm making some tests using XEN 3.1. Now I have a machine exporting iSCSI blocks (could be considered a SAN) devices to several dom0s that run different machines. After making some live migrations I would like to automate the process for being able to offer High Availability. What I want to do is find a way to heartbeat machines in a ring structure, so that if a machine crashes the one that is "pinging" will be able to cope with its work temporarily till replacement. I've been reading for a while about HA on linux machines, but I don't find a solution for this. Let me explain it easily:

I need some sort of daemon that detects if the other host is down and let me execute a custom script to live migrate machines. Heartbeat, Keepalive or ucarp, as far as I know, don't do this. They first detect when the host is down and after they activate a virtual IP address. If the service that they make HA is stateless, let's say DNS, you don't need to do any syncing between disk, if it is a Database you have to do DRBD.

The issue here is that the storing is distributed, so I don't have to sync block devices. Is there a way to configure one of these services to be able to let me execute what I want? If there is I haven't been able to find it.

Does anyone know what open software solution could be used to do HA this way?

Thank you very much in advanced for your time and effort, Regards

    Miguel Araujo