Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Passthrough support ?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Passthrough support ?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 02:19:29 +0000
Cc: sanket hase <shase@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:20:15 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 1. When PCI Passthrough support  'is not enabled' , how does domU access
> PCI device ?
>     I suppose they continue to communicate using pcifront/back split
> drivers and now dom0's
>     drivers are used ( right ? )

If you don't have PCI passthrough (as provided by pcifront/back) then the domU
can't really have direct access to a PCI device.  The only accesses it'll be
able to make are by using the virtual block / net interfaces to request dom0
do some IO for it.

> 2. PCI-passthrough enables domU to own the PCI device. Now dom0 can no
> longer use that device .

Yep.

>     If domU has mapped address space of the required  PCI device , why
> need it talk to dom0 any  further ?

DomU owns the PCI device, but dom0 owns the PCI *bus* hardware.  To query (and
potentially set) information in "PCI configuration space", the domU will have
to talk to dom0 somehow, because that information comes from the PCI bus
hardware, not from the device itself.  The PCI config space information
includes the location of the mmio and port io regions used by the device, so
without this communication the domU wouldn't know how to talk to its device.

Come to that, the PCI config space information is needed to determine what the
device *is* so the domU knows what driver to use to talk to it ;-)

The PCI bus control hardware can only be owned by dom0, so it is necessary to
indirect these operations through dom0.  pciback doesn't necessarily pass
through config space data unmodified to pcifront (there used to be a number
of different options on how it passed stuff through) and it doesn't
necessarily allow pcifront to alter config space (for safety reasons).  But
in the end it provides enough of the functionality of PCI config space to
enable the domU to find and identify the PCI device(s) it owns, and load the
appropriate drivers.

>     What kind of hand shake is involved ( setup and tear down as you
> have mentioned ) between domU and
>     domU  " in passthrough case" ?

Well, the operations on PCI config space will go through dom0.  That's the
main thing I can think of right now, but there may be other operations too.

> 3. DomU discovers all PCI devices through  Xenstore.

I'm not actually sure on this point, but you should be able to figure it out
with a scan through the code.  Post here if you have trouble understanding
sections!

> >  requires to talk to its assigned device(s).
>
> How are devices "assigned"  to domU ?  I am specifically talking about
> late binding.

pciback needs to "claim" the device in dom0 so that no "real" device drivers
in dom0 will try to use it.  We don't want the domains fighting over it ;-)
After dom0 boot time, you can move devices to the control of pciback by
writing values to sysfs to tell any current driver to release its hold on the
device, then tell pciback to grab it.

Once pciback has grabbed a device, the rest of dom0 Linux doesn't know that a
domU is using the device.  As far as Linux is concerned, the device is owned
by pciback.

To give the domain access to the device, dom0 needs to issue some hypercalls
giving the domU the rights to map the appropriate mmio regions, and access
the appropriate IO regions.  It'll also need to have setup a connection
between pcifront and pciback.  I guess it might stick something in Xenstore -
maybe you can see what happens in the code?  Some of this will be done in
pciback, some is probably administered in the tools code.

I'm sorry to be a bit vague.  It's a while since I looked at this code, so
please bare in mind that I'm a little rusty ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!