Re: [Xen-users] Problem with export of physical devices to domU

To: Jan Marquardt <jm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problem with export of physical devices to domU
From: Gémes Géza <geza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:20:09 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 01:21:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jan Marquardt írta:
Hi,

I am trying to get a domU working with pyhsical devices exported from dom0, but the boot of domU always fails with the following message in VNC:

[..]
Booting from Hard Disk...
Boot from Hard Disk failed: could not read the boot disk
FATAL: No bootable device

Xen 3.1.0 was installed from source and is running under Debian Etch. Kernel Version 2.6.18. On the device, which I want to export is also a Debian Etch installed.
The config of the domU looks like the following:

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 1024
name = "ExampleHVMDomain"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb1,ioemu:sda1,w' ]
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
boot="c"
sdl=0
vnc=1
vncpasswd=''
stdvga=0
serial='pty'

I already tried a lot of different values for disk, but each try ends with the same message. Example tries:

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb1,sda1,w' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb,ioemu:sda,w' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb,ioemu:sda,w', 'phy:/dev/sdb1,ioemu:sda1,w'  ]
disk = [ 'phy:sdb1,ioemu:sda1,w' ]

I think I just made a beginner's mistake and I hope someone is able to point me in the right direction. If you need any further information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Jan Marquardt

I supose you installed a paravirtualized guest in that case you do need to specify kernel=/path/to/your/DomU/kernel/in/the/Dom0/filesystem
and builder=linux
If you installed a hvm domain, then the install obviously failed, and you need to reinstall it.

Good Luck

Geza Gemes