Re: [Xen-users] Different networks between Dom0 and Guest?

To: Nicole Hähnel <nicole.haehnel@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Different networks between Dom0 and Guest?
From: kanour-xen <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:41:53 +1100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 04:42:47 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nicole Hähnel wrote:
kanour-xen schrieb:
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
Nicole Hähnel wrote:
Hi,

I'm running SLES10 SP1 with xen 3.0.4 and windows 2003 server as guest.
Is it possible to assign ips from different networks to Dom0 and Guest,
e. g. 172.27.10.1/24 for Dom0 and 172.27.15.1/24 for Guest?
I tried it, but I can't reach the Guest.
If it's possible, what should I have to configure?

Thanks!
Nicole
It should work, they have different MAC addresses. But do you have gateways set up correctly? And is your upstream switch or switches set up to allow traffic on both VLAN's? And is your upstream gateway set up to handle both VLAN's as well?

I dislike setting up two VLAN's on the same switch port, in order to avoid just that sort of routing problem.

I believe you have to configure trunk and vlans to tag the packets.

That is how I have it.

Jiri

I think, if I have two pcs, one in Dom0 network and one in Guest network, and all connected to the same switch, pc1 should reach Dom0 and pc2 should reach Guest, without configuring any vlans on the switch. So the bridge xenbr0 has to route the packets from Guest to the switch, but this doesn't work.
The bridge has no ip on my system.
I don't know if it's right or if this can work at all.
How can I set this up?

This is not secure solution because anyone on those PCs can change the network and can access the other network.
But, it should work (theoretically - I never done it like that).
I assume that you have one network card with bridge created. Then just assign the addresses in dom0 and domU and try.

Jiri