Re: [Xen-users] Xen domUs on Ubuntu

To: Alan Murrell <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen domUs on Ubuntu
From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:43:47 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:44:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alan Murrell schrieb:
> On Thursday 18 October 2007 12:07:43 Luke St.Clair wrote:
>> However, with extra = "4 xencons=tty", I now get the last line to be
>> "Setting system clock" after I get "Couldnt get a file descriptor
>> referring to the console", 6 times.
>
> OK, I have made a little progress on this.  I mounted my VM image on a
> loopback and chroot'd to it.  I opened /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh
> and /etc/init.d/hwclockfirst.sh and added the following to the top of each
> file:
>
>   exit 0

This issue is caused by an ubuntu domU kernel patch which uses the clock
of the hostsystem.
I did some similar by chmod 000 /etc/init.d/hwclock*
which isn't a clean solution but works also.

A clean solution would be to patch the hwclock scripts to look for e.g.
/proc/xenbus . I would file a bugreport, but I assume I'm unable to handle
launchpad.net ...

Stephan

--
Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054