Re: [Xen-users] pciback.hide graphics card - 3/4's way there

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] pciback.hide graphics card - 3/4's way there
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 05:13:02 +0100
Cc: "\[STD\]Ein" <ein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 21:13:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm attempting to hand control of one usb controller, videocard, and audio
> to a domU.

Cool project!

> First, some info.  I'm running Debian Etch 4.0r1 with the 2.6.18-5-xen-686
> kernel (xen 3.1.0) for both dom0 and domU.
>
> I've added pciback.hide=(01:00.0)(00:01.0)(00:1f.2)(00:1f.4)(00:1f.5) to my
> kernel boot line.
> (they are in order, nvidia nv11ddr (gf2mx), agp bridge, usb contoller, usb
> controller, intel ac97 audio).
>
> I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate message, I had some issues
> with my mail client.
>
> All of these are handed to the domU
> pci=['0000:01:00.0','0000:00:01.0','0000:00:1f.2','0000:00:1f.4','0000:00:1
>f .5']
>
> I then added -sharevts vt1 to all of the X command lines in
> /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf
>
> X and gdm start perfectly!

Excellent!

> But. Xorg uses 99+% of the cpu, all the time.  It's completely unusable.

Hmm, unfortunate.  Does it respond to mouse / keyboard at all?  Can you get it
to do anything, is it just very very slow?

> I've tried installing the nvidia binary driver, but that turned into an
> abortion and I moved back to the generic driver.

Maybe one step at a time is a good idea!  Although good thinking because I
guess there could be something funny going on in the driver...

ISTR the Nvidia driver can be made to run on Xen if the wrapper code is
recompiled (possibly patched first).

> Any ideas?

Not specifically.

I guess the thing that occurs to me is either to run some kind of profiler, or
attach GDB to X.org in order to try to get some idea of exactly where X is
burning CPU (e.g. if it's sitting in a loop somewhere wasting CPU, or if it's
doing work, or something else).

Out of interest, have you tried booting without gdb enabled, firing up X
manually and then just running an xterm on it?  That takes us down to about
the simplest configuration we could have.  I don't know why that would make a
difference, but it's something to try if you're bored - and maybe it'll
eliminate some possibilities.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.