Re: [Xen-users] Xen Install: "No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext

To: "Alasdair P Mclean" <mcleanap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Install: "No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext2"
From: "Dan VerWeire" <dverweire@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:45:56 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 05:46:46 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=BXVC+m66/DeLxqZIIBEkxWpftOtIA/JkeuhTkOROyg8=; b=lmdWqqqDmPgi+8qkysRPpBBK4Nybap6GtLFZpOWgBgCl3y99krSYHwjL9UAvmysbUY9sY5XmahdMjYczQVIbQpBc2o+RnfHTfqP3cD5iy5rmRgYcq/g7zqU4tXNauXn/nnpQ9LcFSf0d07mJLQD1aRKaT2qMrdO0yuCuS4HSlmc=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey Ali,

I built my domU kernel from Ubuntu sources so I'm not exactly sure what you need to do since your sources are from Xen. But I'll take a guess. If you go into your Xen source directory, probably something like /usr/src/xen- 3.0.3, there might be a sub directory called linux-2.6.18-xen. Go to that directory and try 'make menuconfig'. Then you will need to go to 'File systems' and press 'Y' next to each file system that you want to be compiled into the kernel. 'Y' will compile it in, 'M' will compile it as a module and 'N' will exclude it from being built. You may need to do the same thing for other things found in 'Device Drivers' depending on your hardware setup.

To be honest, I didn't know what needed to be compiled in specifically, so I just tried a bunch of logical options until it worked. If you have a working kernel that you can boot the system with, you may want to try running 'lspci' to get a list of devices such as your IDE, SATA or SCSI and try to find a driver that might match that device and compile it in.

Hope this helps,

Dan