Re: [Xen-users] Strange network problem (Etch)

Let me try to explain what i did recently to setup some domU's behind a domU acting as a gateway between 2 bridges to play with shorewall.

Using the scripts here

http://renial.net/weblog/2007/02/27/xen-vlan/

i put them in /etc/xen/scripts and edited /etc/xen/scripts/network-multi-vlan to look like

dir=$(dirname "$0")
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0
"$dir/network-bridge-vlan" "$@" vlan=2

brctl show then gives
vlanbr2         8000.feffffffffff       no              eth0.2
xenbr0          8000.feffffffffff       no              vif0.0
                                                       peth0

I then setup a domU to act as a gateway between xenbr0 and vlanbr2 in domU config like this

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:00:00:26, bridge=xenbr0, vifname=gateway.0','mac=00:16:3E:00:02:10, bridge=vlanbr2, vifname=gateway.1' ]

and created a couple of other domU's on vlanbr2. To give this.

vlanbr2         8000.feffffffffff       no              eth0.2
                                                       gateway.1
                                                       dom1.0
                                                       dom2.0
xenbr0          8000.feffffffffff       no              vif0.0
                                                       peth0
                                                       gateway.0

At this point i found an issue that anyone on my physical lan could ping anything on vlanbr0 simply by creating a vlan on the same network. Which i found by removing eth0.2 from vlanbr2 with "brctl delif vlanbr2 eth0.2" made them unreachable from anything not on the bridge and now all traffic going to the vlanbr2 bridge has to be port forwarded through the gateway domU. Enabling ip forwarding of course and NAT on the out going interface. Don't forget also domU's on the bridge will need to know the gateway address to get outside eg.

route add default gw 10.0.0.1 dev eth0

regards
Geoff