[Xen-users] Problem with mISDN and HFC-Cards in Asterisk-DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Problem with mISDN and HFC-Cards in Asterisk-DomU
From: Dennis Petschull <dennis.petschull@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 21:31:55 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:32:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am having problems, getting my asterisk-domU to work properly. It consists
of the following components:

- Debian Etch under Xen-3.1 with a 2.6.18-kernel
- Asterisk 1.2.24
- mISDN-1.1.5

I have 2 HFC-ISDN-cards, which I pass through to the Asterisk-DomU in
permissive mode. This is working fine.
The strange problem is, that the two HFC-ISDN-cards are not beeing initialized
by the mISDN-driver if there are more than 3 other domUs up and running.

I get the following error message:
HFC-PCI: Error allocating memory for FIFO!
FATAL: Error inserting hfcpci (/lib/modules/2.6.18-xenU/extra/hfcpci.ko): No
such device

If you look into the mISDN source-code you will find the following snippet of
code in /drivers/isdn/hardware/mISDN/hfc_pci.c, which produces the above
error:

        /* Allocate memory for FIFOS */
        /* the memory needs to be on a 32k boundary within the first 4G */
        pci_set_dma_mask(dev_hfcpci, 0xFFFF8000);
        buffer = pci_alloc_consistent(dev_hfcpci, 0x8000, &hc->hw.dmahandle);
        /* We silently assume the address is okay if nonzero */
        if(!buffer) {
                printk(KERN_WARNING "HFC-PCI: Error allocating memory for
FIFO!\n");
                return 1;
        }

But what is even more strange is the following:
As far as I can see, mISDN will also not initialize the HFC-cards in the
asterisk domU if I have not started all the other domUs at least once. Than I
have to shut down one of the other domUs, initialize the mISDN drivers, and
restart the other domU again.

Just in case it might help to solve the problem, I will post the output of
lspci -vv in the case where mISDN CAN initialize the cards and in the case
where it CANNOT. Here it comes:

mISDN CAN initialize the cards:

asterisk:~# lspci -vv
01:07.0 Network controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network controller
[HFC-PCI] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN Board
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

01:08.0 Network controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network controller
[HFC-PCI] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN Board
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

mISDN CANNOT initialize the cards:

asterisk:~# lspci -vv
01:07.0 Network controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network controller
[HFC-PCI] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN Board
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

01:08.0 Network controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network controller
[HFC-PCI] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN Board
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

Has anyone ever encountered such a strange problem? Does anyone know how to
solve this problem?

Thanks!

Greetings,
Dennis