[Xen-users] xen is causing network problems to Dom0 - bridge problem?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] xen is causing network problems to Dom0 - bridge problem?
From: "Marco Strullato" <marco.strullato@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 15:39:20 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 06:40:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all!
xen is causing network problems to Dom0.

I'll explain what happens during boot:
-network interface module is loaded correctly
-network starts correctly and it gets an ip from dhcp
-xend starts and make Dom0 offline.

/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp is:
(xend-unix-server yes)
(xend-unix-path /var/lib/xend/xend-socket)
(xend-relocation-hosts-allow '^localhost$ ^localhost\\.localdomain$')
(network-script network-bridge)
(vif-script vif-bridge)
(dom0-min-mem 256)
(dom0-cpus 0)
(vncpasswd '')

I think the problem is due to /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge: I think the script has some problem and it does not complete the bridge creation.
If I boot Dom0 without starting xend. I get eth0 and lo running
If I boot Dom0 starting network and xend I get lo, tmpbridge and virbr0 interfaces: eth0 is missing and there are other devices that appears to be temporary devices.
If I boot Dom0 starting only network and I execute /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start I get eth0, lo, peth0: so it appears that the script is running fine.
if I boot Dom0 starting network, executing the script tc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start and then service xend start I get eth0, lo, peth0, tmpbridge and virbr0: xen runs well however ther are tmpbridge and virbr0 devices.
if I boot Dom0 starting network, executing the script /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start, executing service xend start and xm create <DomainU> I get eth0, lo, peth0, tmpbridge, virbr0 and vif1.0.

I changed the log level to debug and I wrote some set -x in the right place: I get

Xend started at Wed Oct  3 15:18:20 2007.
device eth0 already exists; can't create bridge with the same name
set hello timer failed: No such file or directory
set forward delay failed: No such file or directory
set stp status failed: No such file or directory
++ set -e
+ . /etc/xen/scripts/xen-network-common.sh
++ set -x
++ '[' -e /etc/SuSE-release ']'
++ which ifup
+ findCommand start
+ for arg in '"$@"'
+ expr index start =
+ command=start
+ return
+ evalVariables start
+ for arg in '"$@"'
+ expr index start = '>' 1
++ ip route list
++ awk '/^default / { print $NF }'
++ sed 's/.* dev //'
+ netdev=eth0
+ bridge=eth0
+ antispoof=no
+ pdev=peth0
+ tdev=tmpbridge
+ case "$command" in
+ op_start
+ set -x
+ '[' eth0 = null ']'
+ link_exists peth0
+ ip link show peth0
+ return 1
+ create_bridge tmpbridge
+ local bridge=tmpbridge
+ '[' '!' -e /sys/class/net/tmpbridge/bridge ']'
+ preiftransfer eth0
+ true
+ transfer_addrs eth0 tmpbridge
+ local src="">+ local dst=tmpbridge