[Xen-users] Trying to get up native X11 in domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Trying to get up native X11 in domU
From: Stefan Neuwirth <neuwirt-xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:13:19 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:23:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm trying to get up X11 native in a domU. What I have done up to now:

- Set up a dom0 (x86_64), hiding the Nvidia Card from dom0 by
  pciback.hide and giving dom0 a serial console.
- Set up a domU (x86_64), assining the Nvidia Card to this domU
- Install faketty modul from backstreet ruby project to give X11 a
  dummy console inside of domU
- Install X11 and build a xorg.conf file.

Up to this stage everything works fine, but when I start the xserver
the xen hypervisor put out a message:

(XEN) mm.c:612:d4 Non-privileged (4) attempt to map I/O space 000000a0

And the X11 logfile shows up:

(II) NV(0): Initializing int10

Fatal server error:
xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap framebuffer (0x000a0000,0x20000) (Bad address)

When using the vesa driver for X11 it's the same as with the nv
driver.

Ok, I think the X11 tries to map the video memory but as we are in a
domU we have no privilegedes to do this. Is there a way to give domU
the permission to map the IO space. I've seen the
xend-pci-permissive.sxp and xend-pci-quirks.sxp files, but they are
for the config space.

Any hints how to get it work?

  Stefan