[Xen-users] linux networking "falls asleep"

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] linux networking "falls asleep"
From: Jason Solan <jsolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 11:19:33 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 08:25:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  I have an issue on my gentoo xen server.  If i create linux domU's,
regardless of whether they are HVM or PV, my networking on the domU
eventually "falls asleep".  If i log into the domU using the VFB or xm
console, then utilize the network in some manner (i.e. ping) the network
jumps right up and is working.  This happens on fedora, ubuntu, and
ipcop (2.4 kernel) domU's.

It was annoying on my fedora/ubuntu systems, but I put in a cron job to
ping every so often so that would keep the network up.  However that
"workaround" doesn't seem to work on my IPCOP system.  That makes it
even more annoying as i've recently switched to using that as my
vpn/gateway/etc and if its network goes down while i'm away from my home
network, then i can't get in to do anything.

It happened on xen 3.0.4 on kernel 2.6.16, and i recently upgraded to
xen 3.1 on kernel 2.6.20 and it is still happening.

I've not noticed this happening at all on my windows domU's.

Has anyone else run into this?  Is this some ACPI setting that i can
turn off?

This could be a gentoo only issue because i've not seen it happen on my
fedora/redhat dom0's.  I apologize if that is the case, but hopefully
somebody can point me in the right direction.