Re: [Xen-users] Where did the Xen source tarballs go?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Where did the Xen source tarballs go?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:45:38 +0100
Cc: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:46:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Where's the master repository for downloading open source Xen source
> tarballs?

All the Xen download stuff is under here.  In particular the tarball links are
on the page Frank just sent a link to in another reply.

http://xen.xensource.com/download/

> In the past, I've always just gone to the xensource web page, clicked on
> download, and then followed the "Open Source Xen" link.  However, this link
> seems to no longer be there.
>
> I found a Univ of Cambridge download page  (
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/downloads.html).  It
> provides a link to source tarballs, but it's a broken link.  It also
> provides instructions for using the Mercurial repository, but I'd much
> rather just download a tarball if I can find one.

The Cambridge page is basically a bit dead.  We should probably trim off some
of the entries from it and put a link referring to the Xensource community
webpages.

> PS:  I already have a xen-3.1.0 tarball downloaded on July 2nd this year.
> Is it the latest?

Almost.  There may have been a point release tarball including subsequent
fixes at some point.  The fixes that got backported to 3.1 are tested out in
the xen-3.1-testing.hg repository, and in general there may be a few fixes
sitting around there that haven't been rolled into a tarball yet.

Using hg to stay up to date with the latest source is actually not too bad:
hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.1-testing.hg
creates a directory called xen-3.1-testing.hg/ with the Xen source in

Then do
hg fetch
in that directory in order to update the contents to the latest source.

You can copy or hg clone that directory in order to get a build directory, if
you don't want to mess about in the repository itself.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!