[Xen-users] Copy on write Disk Images

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Copy on write Disk Images
From: "Eric Harney" <eharney@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:37:09 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:37:59 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I am working on a project in which I would like to use copy-on-write VM
disk images in order to create "deltas" of a disk over a period of time.

For example, if I have a VM which uses /var/lib/xen/vm1/vm1.hda as its
disk image, can I attach a copy-on-write disk image which would record
changes in, /var/lib/xen/vm1/vm1-cow.hda rather than in the main disk
image file?

I've seen some of the projects listed on
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/COWHowTo but am not sure if something
like this is actually possible.

If anyone has ever configured something like this,  I'd be interested in any
notes or opinions you can provide about this kind of configuration, or
possibilities for entirely different setups which do the same thing.

Thanks,
Eric