Re: [Xen-users] can you mount the partitions inside a qcow image file?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] can you mount the partitions inside a qcow image file?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:12:23 +0100
Cc: Tomoki Taniguchi <tomoki.taniguchi@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:13:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> currently all my domUs have two image files that i assign in the config
> file as sda1 and sda2.  sda1 is the root filesystem and sda2 is the swap
> partition.
>
> i am contemplating setting up one qcow image file, assign it as sda
> and creating two partitions inside it for sda1 and sda2.
>
> i was wondering if it would be possible to mount the sda1 inside the qcow
> image from the dom0?

You could possibly "xm block-attach" the qcow device to dom0 as, say, xvda and
then mount it.  That might have some kind of potential deadlock conditions
which could lock up dom0; although I imagine you might get away with it if
you just want to have a quick poke in the image.  Perhaps mounting it
read-only would avoid this problem.

There's also dm-userspace: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/DmUserspace

This is capable of mapping qcow images as normal Linux devicemapper volumes.
I don't know how stable it is but it's a more Linux-specific solution to the
problem.  Maybe it's worth a try.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.