Re: [Xen-users] Dependency question

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dependency question
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 04:29:12 +0100
Cc: "Shane D. Johnson" <SDJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:29:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello this is my first Xen install and I need some help please.
>     I want to do a install of Dom0 and domU text only without X so as to
> keep the size to a minimum.  When I did the 'make world' command it
> proceeded to build then ended on a error saying it failed on x11 headers
> and xgettext.  The dependencies for Xen do not list these so I haven't
> built them and really would prefer not to.  I have looked in the
> Makefile to see if there is a way to disable this but I can't find it.
> Please let me know what I need to do.

If you just install the X headers (the xlib-dev package, I guess) then that
would do: you don't have to have (or use) a working X11.

This stuff is for building the various virtual framebuffer devices (which, I
guess, you still might want to access over SSH even if you're not running it
on a local X server).

Alternatively, it might be possible to disable building the paravirt
framebuffer and the HVM device models (but then you won't be able to use HVM)
which (IIRC) are the things which use the X headers.

I'd say the path of least resistance is to just install X headers and then
either use X-over-SSH forwarding, or use VNC to access guest framebuffers.
This way it'll build smoothly but you don't have to configure a local X11.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!