Re: [Xen-users] Hypervisor and Linux

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Hypervisor and Linux
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:34:45 +0100
Cc: Matthew Hunter <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:35:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I assume, perhaps falsely, that there would be a significant
> performance loss for those specific areas by running those
> tasks on a virtualized system.

You don't really want to run opengl or multimedia in a guest.

That said you could take a look at VMGL, which allows you to forward GL
operations from a remote virtual machine so that they can be accelerated
locally: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andreslc/xen-gl/

> >From what I understand of the Xen installation directions on
>
> xensource.com, you install the xen hypervisor like you would an
> operating system, and effectively ALL oses running on the machine
> are virtual.

That's how the XenEnterprise family of products work, and those are
XenSource's products.  Open source Xen is typically dropped onto an existing
Linux install.

> If the "xen host" can be the main workstation with access to the
> full power of the system, I will cheerfully virtualize a few
> older servers.  But if installing the xen hypervisor on the
> system means I won't get the benefits of (for example)
> accelerated opengl displays, that's a deal killer.
>
> Is it possible to run the xen hypervisor within a normal Linux
> distribution (preferably Debian)?

That should work.

The only slight caveat is that depending on your GPU manufacturer, it can be a
bit of a pain getting the binary drivers to work on a Xen-enabled kernel.
Folks *have* managed to do it, though the manufacturer will probably not
support such a configuration.

If you have a recent CPU that has hardware virtualisation support, there's
always the possibility of using KVM (Kernel Virtual Machine) which is in
recent Linux kernel releases.  And of course, there's Parallels and VMware
too, who both make fine desktop virtualisation solutions.

I reckon there's something in there that'll do what you want. anyhow.  If you
go the Xen route you may find information in the mailing list archives (or in
the current userbase) which is able to help you sort out problems you might
run into.   This list is the appropriate place to ask such questions; the
forums on the XenSource site are oriented towards the commercial variants of
Xen.

Cheers,
mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.