Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1 (pae-mode) causing domU's to crash if RAM above

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1 (pae-mode) causing domU's to crash if RAM above about 500-800MB is used
From: Roberto De Ioris <roberto@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 01:08:39 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:06:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Il giorno ven, 03/08/2007 alle 21.53 +0200, Ralph Passgang ha scritto:
> Am Freitag, 3. August 2007 19:15:01 schrieb Roberto De Ioris:

> > > I downgraded my server from 3.1 to 3.0.3 and now it works without any
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > So this problem affects the following xen versions (in combination with
> > > 3ware sata controller and 32bit pae mode):
> >
> > Same problem here, xen 3.1 on Xeon 5110 on intel chipset but with AHCI
> > controller, so i do not think its 3ware related.
> > No problem with xen 3.0.4
>
> For sure there is also other hardware that is buggy in pae mode. Ian Pratt
> also said this in 2006 as there was a similar problem in xen 3.0.x, see:
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-02/msg00076.html
>
> But I don't think it's related to Intel Chipset or the Xeon's, because this
> hardware is really very common and almost on every server this problem would
> exist then.
>
> Because I saw other reports on this list that had problems with Supermicro
> Boards and my system also uses a supermicro board, maybe it's even that.
>
> What board do you use?

Intel Alcolu:

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/s5000PAL/index.htm

And same problem appeared with xen 3.1 on HP DL140G2

No problem with 3.0.4 on both hardware

I have to say that setting the number of vcpus to 1 in guests (so smp is
disabled) appear to solve the problem (but obviously i need smp on
guests...)

--
Roberto De Ioris
http://unbit.it