RE: [Xen-users] differences between Para-Virtualization andFull-Virtuali

To: <thewird@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Nico Kadel-Garcia'" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] differences between Para-Virtualization andFull-Virtualization?
From: "Artur Linhart - Linux communication" <AL.LINUX@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:12:47 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:12:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

        I think it is true what Nico writes, but I would say - from the
philosophical point of view of me the main difference between full
virtualization and paratirtualization is in the fact, the fully virtualized
OS "does not know" it runs on some emulation of the computer and there can
be some other OS instances with which the resources can be shared, but
paravirtualized can. It means, in paravirtauliyation can be also changed the
disks, CPUs, memory etc. During the run of the system and the guest OS can
handle this changes correctly.
        The consequence is then, the paravirtualized system can generally
know more about the system where it runs because it can cooperate with the
hypervisor.
        I do not think it is an exact information there must be some kernel
etc. with some special properties - there exist also paravirtualization
drivers for windows to cooperate with the hyparvisor - and windows have no
kernel in the linux meaning...

        With best regards

                Archie