Re: [Xen-users] BSD domU with HVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] BSD domU with HVM
From: Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:19:36 -0300
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:17:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday, 16 July 2007 10:09:27 +0100,
Martin Goldstone wrote:

> Hi,

Hi, Martin.

> As it's going to be a HVM domain, the procedure is going to be the
> pretty much the same as any other HVM domain, regardless of the OS.

> The easiest way is to use virt-manager.  If you can't/don't want to
> use this, then start with one of the examples (ie xmexample.hvm) which
> you should have in your /etc/xen directory (assuming they're included
> in the debian package). Just point the entries on the disk line to the
> right places (If your using a real cdrom, then it'll be something like
> phy:/dev/cdrom, if its an iso then its file:/path/to/image.iso, and
> similarly for the hard disk images phy: for physical devices, lvm etc.
> and file: for file based hard disk images.

I'm newbie in HVM virtualization. For my initial test, I decided to use
Debian GNU/Linux (netinstall CD). The config file for the domU is the
following:

alderamin:~# cat /etc/xen/xmexample.hvm |grep ^[^#]
kernel = "hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 128
shadow_memory = 8
name = "ExampleHVMDomain"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vm/debian.raiz,ioemu:hda,w', \
         'phy:/dev/cdrom,ioemu:hdc:cdrom,r' ]
device_model = 'qemu-dm'
boot="cd"
sdl=0
vnc=1
vnclisten="192.168.1.2"
stdvga=0
serial='pty'

Where 192.168.1.2 is the dom0 IP. It is running vncserver and it is not
running an X server. Then I try connect to domU via vncviewer (vncviewer
192.168.1.2:5901) from my worstatition with X, but I get a gray window
and I don't see the Debian netinstall screen.

> Additionally, as your using Xen 3.0.3-1, I'd be careful with the ACPI,
> APIC and PAE settings, as I had problems with various combinations of
> settings whilst attempting to install Win2k3 (I ended up with them all
> set at 0 in that version, with just 1 VCPU.  Xen 3.1 really is much
> better at HVM stuff, I'd suggest using that if you can).  That said,
> I've not tried installing any BSD or Linux distro as a HVM under that
> version, so it might be different.

I've it in mind.

> Hope this helps,

Thank you for your answer.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Daniel Bareiro - System Administrator
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37