[Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-users] Quest for a better FAQ

To: "'Dylan Martin'" <dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Xen Users'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-users] Quest for a better FAQ
From: "Artur Linhart - Linux communication" <AL.LINUX@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:59:49 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 00:58:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

        After I got gray hairs and already wrote a hearthbreaking e-mail to
this conference why the hell my hvm domain will not start I figured out I do
not have installed the package libsdl-console, which is necessary for the
start even if I specified sdl=0 in the domain configuration file. I think,
this package should be listed in the required packages for xen (at least
version 3.1.0), but I haven't seen it in some xen documentation or howto.

        So, maybe into the faq could come a hint about the recommended /
required libraries even if running DomU with vnc access only - something
like "What libraries should I have installed if I want to be sure I can
start xen HVM domain" or something like that :-).

        From my research, I have installed following packages, which have
not been installed by default (using Debian Etch 4.0), so, maybe this could
be added to the faq you are creating just now (the libraries installed by
default are very dependent on the distribution which is used).

        So, I installed following packages which have not been installed by
default in Debian Etch 4.0:

bridge-utils
screen
python
python-twisted
python-xml (this package is normally also not listed in the documentation as
required)
libsdl-console (second library not listed in the available documentations)
iproute
libcurl3-dev

There is already isntalled the library libssl0.9.8, but I had to create the
link to libssl0.9.7 by the statement
ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7
because xen needed from me the version 0.9.7

According the the usage of the local sdl library - if on the server are
installed o x-windows, this was a problem for me and I could not get
framebuffer working at all... So maybe also another libraries are necessary
if I want to attach to the DomU with graphic output locally...

        With best regards,

                Artur