[Xen-users] How to deal with shutdown event for HVM DomUs?

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] How to deal with shutdown event for HVM DomUs?
From: "Artur Linhart - Linux communication" <AL.LINUX@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:41:49 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:39:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

            I have following task – having Xen server with some DomUs with Windows as guests. Because it runs as HVM only and cannot use the paravirtual mode, it has also problems with receive of the “shutdown” event of the whole machine – so it means, if the Dom0 is shut down, the DomU domains are destroyed without beeing correctly shut down and the windows services etc. cannot be shut down correctly, what is not very good for the data integrity and stability of the HVM (Windows) guest.

            What is the best approach to solve this problem? The only way I can imagine at this moment is to make the save of the DomU domain if the Dom0 shutdown occurs and then also by the Dom0 start perform the restore of the DomU domain.

            Can this task (automatic save and restore of the running domains) be done with the help of some existing tool, or do I have to write the scripts myself, which will make it by the shutdown/start of Dom0? I think, this could be the task for Xend, but at this moment I did not found in the documentation (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xend/Stateless) nothing in this way...

            Or is there any other way how to solve this problem with the uncleanly shutdown HVM DomUs?

            Any advice or pointer to some documentation would be appreciated...

            With regards, Artur.