Re: [Xen-users] xen RHEL5/x86_64 @everything installs hang on blocked st

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen RHEL5/x86_64 @everything installs hang on blocked state
From: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:48:47 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 00:46:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can do a RHEL5/x86_64 anaconda install into a dumU when I select a
> few packages only. When I ask for a full install the vm does all the
> depedency calculation and then blocks with "Starting install process.
> This may take several minutes..."
>
> How can I debug this? How can I find out why the vm blocked? I know
> it's a wait state, but that's all I know.

In my former tests we realized a general instability of the
Redhat/Fedora tools to run anaconda inside a DomU. Results where not
always reproducible and often errors occured that could not easily be
debugged.

This seems to be a Fedora-specific issue (we tested a lot of
distributions, and no install tools on no other distribution was that
unreliable) - no wonder Redhat claims Xen to be a not so mature
technology :)

For exactly debugging it, the redhat/fedora Xen list might be a better
place (or, even better, their support teams - this is what you pay for
when using rhel5) to ask.

As a workaround, I can recommend bootstrapping your Rhel5 domU's with
yum, after mounting the target directory manually - or use something
like xen-tools or FAI - fully automatic installation (both made for
Debian, but both work well on Fedora, and can be nicely combined.

Henning