Re: [Xen-users] Multiple CPUs and Win2k

Tim Boyer wrote:
>> What version of Xen are you running?  I've had various problems with
>> multiple VCPUs in HVM guests before Xen 3.1.
>
> 3.0.3, but I've got no problem running RHEL5 fully virtualized with multiple
> CPUs.

Hmm, perhaps my problem was with Windows then.  At the time, I was
testing only Windows HVM guests.  The GNU/Linux guests during my tests
tended to be paravirtualized.

>>  Additionally, was the
>> guest installed with these same settings? Did you force it
>> into Standard
>> PC or Uniprocessor ACPI when you installed it?
>>

> Aha!  Didn't think of that - had to force it to Standard PC.  Could that
> have made the difference?

I'm pretty sure the Standard PC HAL only supports 1 CPU, so this is
probably the problem.  Have you tried selecting one of the alternatives?
  Sadly this requires a reinstall of Windows (you may be able to force
the change by copying the right files to the right places, but I've no
idea what they are).

I can't remember which version of Xen I was trying at the time, but I
remember seeing 2 multiprocessor choices.   One was an ACPI one, the
other was MPS multiprocessor.  I couldn't get reliable results with the
ACPI Multiprocessor PC, but I had some success with MPS.  However, on
Xen 3.1 I can use ACPI Multiprocessor without problems.  I'd suggest
trying MPS Multiprocessor PC, or upgrading to Xen 3.1.

Mart

> -- tim --
>
>> Mart
>>
>> Tim Boyer wrote:
>>> Is there a problem specifying multiple cpus with Windows
>> 2000?  I'm running
>>> a dual quad core system and RHEL5, and my paravirtualized
>> RHEL5 systems seem
>>> to be able to accept more than one cpu, but the Win2K fully
>> virtualized
>>> system just shows 1 - no matter how many vcpus I specify.
>> Config file looks
>>> like so:
>>>
>>> name = "plcdata"
>>> builder = "hvm"
>>> memory = "2048"
>>> disk = [ 'file:/dg/xen-plcdata,hda,w',
>> 'file:/usr/src/pc.iso,hdb:cdrom,r', ]
>>> vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0', 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr1', ]
>>> device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
>>> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
>>> vnc=1
>>> vncunused=1
>>> apic=1
>>> acpi=1