Re: [Xen-users] Kernel panics

To: Yves Dorfsman <yves@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Kernel panics
From: Martin Goldstone <m.j.goldstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:13:31 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 06:11:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yves Dorfsman wrote:

- -- snip--

>> Are you using the stock binaries from the Xen site, or are you rolling
>> your own?
>
> For xen.gz, I 've tried both.
> For the kernel, I had to build my own, as there is no driver nor module
> in the "dist" one.

OK, I may be going off on a tangent here, but bear with me.

This may sound like a silly question, but when you roll your own kernel,
 are you building it along with Xen, or are you building it manually?
I've not built a Xen-patched kernel manually before, so I'm a little
unfamiliar with the process, but there are patches to apply (if you are
using vanilla sources), and then there are specific settings when
configuring. The kernel config file that is in the source tarball from
the Xen site should tell you what you need to know.

- From what you've said though, I'm guessing that there's a driver you
need that is only in a later kernel.  If that's the case, you may need
to either port the Xen patches to it yourself (apparently not a task for
the faint hearted), or hope someone else has done so (for instance, the
latest Ubuntu has a different kernel version to the one on the Xen
site).  Or you could back port the driver you need.  That's of course if
you need a kernel newer than 2.6.18.  If you don't, have you tried Xen 3.1?

Of course, I may have got this all wrong.  So if you're using the
standard patched sources, and the kernel is configured correctly, my
apologies for asking such time wasting questions :-)

At any rate, have you managed to capture any useful information from the
panic yet?

Martin