Re: [Xen-users] Live Migration with different hardware

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Live Migration with different hardware
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:27:47 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kyrios <kyrios@xxxxxxxxx>, Dominik Klein <dk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:26:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Domains with PCI access shouldn't be migrated or
> > saved/restored.  I think the
> > tools might allow this at the moment, but that's a bug and
> > should be fixed
> > (note to self: consider fixing this bug!)
>
> That would be a good bug to fix... And I thought that I said that this
> type of domain can't be migrated.

Yes, I was just agreeing with you ;-)

Actually, quite possibly, the *can* be migrated, it just won't work and will
crash things instead ;-p

> I don't think it's very hard to discover if this domain has a PCI device
> attached or not - but I haven't looked at it...

Should just be a modification in Python code to check if pci devs are
assigned.  I might be able to get round to it soon.  We've had one report of
somebody's system breaking because the xendomains init script suspended and
resumed a driver domain on reboot :-(

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.