Re: [Xen-users] Howto access the guest filesystem under LVM ?

To: Marcin Owsiany <marcin@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Howto access the guest filesystem under LVM ?
From: Pascal <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:15:09 +0200
Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:13:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marcin Owsiany a écrit :
On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 09:04:09PM +0200, Pascal wrote:

I have created a guest using virt-install.
On the dom0 we have created a LogicalVolume and used it to install the
guest

We need to copy all the contents of the guest, so we'd like to access
the guest filesystem from dom0

Tried something like :
mount -o loop /dev/xenvps/mylv /mnt

But it doesn't work

Omit "-o loop". /dev/xenvps/mylv is a (symlink-to) a real block device
file, so there's no need for loop.

Keep in mind that having it mounted R/W in guest and R/W or R/O in dom0
at the same time is asking for trouble.

It doesn't work

# mount /dev/mapper/xenvps-centos45 /mnt/
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Ah, I think with newer centos/RH you need to treat the volume as a whole
disk and perform some tricks to make linux see partitions inside it, and
potentially even use them as LVM volumes.. I think there were examples
of that on the list earlier, I don't remember the details, though.

Well I didn't find anything about this in the xen doc and google didn't give me something :\
Hope somebody knows how to mount a guest filesytem created under an LVM partition

Pascal