Re: [Xen-users] How to install an HVM linux guest without bootcd?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to install an HVM linux guest without bootcd?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:27:02 +0100
Cc: Goran Vukoman <xen-list@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:36:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Has somebody found a way to install an HVM linux guest without a bootcd?
>
> Thanks

Hi Goran,

It'd probably help if we knew what you are trying to achieve here...?

You can probably install a guest using emulated floppy disks, but that would
be a bit masochistic :-)  You could also do a network install, I guess.

You could try to craft a bootable filesystem from dom0 - that's doable, but
I'm not really sure what the advantage would be.

IMHO the best way to install guests is to have a "gold" image that you
installed from CD-ROM (or whatever your normal install process is) then just
copy that disk image to make new virtual machines.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!