RE: [Xen-users] 9650SE / 3w-9xxx problem, Xen 3.1.0

To: "Peter Fastré" <peter.fastre@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] 9650SE / 3w-9xxx problem, Xen 3.1.0
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:07:18 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 02:06:05 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Choosing between module and "built-in" is pretty much depending on how many
different drivers you need for your different systems, and how much memory you
want to sacrifice for carrying kernel drivers for things that you don't use
anyways.

If you have a homogenous environment consisting of only one model of machines,
kernel builtin is fine. If you have two dozen different models of machines, all
with slightly different sets of hardware, meaning that you need 6 different
disk controllers, 11 different network controllers, 5 different of something
else, etc, etc, then building with modules is definitely the better option.

Using modules means that you need an initrd - but often that's the case ANYWAYS
(for example the setup may need certain admin tools to run before the root fs
can be mounted in the first place).

I must confess that I'm lazy: I just use the standard setup with modules,
simply because I can't be bothered to figure out which modules I _ACTUALLY_
need, and which I can make do without. Just build an initrd each time the
kernel is changing (much). Since I usually build from "unstable", the kernel is
replaced every now and again, and keeping track of which modules you want and
don't want is harder when things are changing often.

--
Mats