[Xen-users] Install guest with virt-manager & virt-install problems/ques

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Install guest with virt-manager & virt-install problems/questions
From: Pascal <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 22:15:02 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:13:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

We have xen installed and configured on centos5
The dom0 is working fine

We try to setup a centos 4.5 guest

To do this we've tried virt-manager and virt-install.

-1- Virt-manager
Everything is ok, the vnc show the domU console.
We define an install using a LVM partition /dev/volgrp01/xen01

Ok, the OS install process begin. And we setup it like this

a) We setup the TCP/IP
ip : 82.10.10.243
netmask : 255.255.255.248
gateway : 82.10.10.246
dns : 192.x.x.x.20

b) Partition
It alert us we use the xvda1 partition.
We accept to delete it and create a default partition structure
So it create a default parition for this OS (futur guest) with /boot and LVM / /swap

c) Packages
we choose the packages to be installed (minimum server)

And after this we have the message telling "check packages ...." and the console freeeze here !

So my question is, do you know why the virt-manager freeze ?

So we try with virt-install

-2- Virt-install

With virt-install we can't choose a partition but we have to define a disk path !
So we defined /virt/xen01/xen01.img

We then have the OS text install !

We setup things as before (IP public, partition, packages)

Miracle it works !

Is there a way to use the virt-install but install the guest on a LVM partition and give to the guest a LVM swap partition ?
Our idea is to create a logicalvolume for every guest to be able to resize the volume if the guest need more space ?
How could we do this with virt-install ?
Or, is it possible to change the size of the disk image ?

For info here is our xen config file

# Automatically generated xen config file
name = "xen01"
memory = "512"
disk = [ 'tap:aio:/virt/xen01/xen01,xvda,w', ]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:16:98:ba, bridge=xenbr0', ]

uuid = "4d922dc6-b42b-f063-7969-ebac29728659# Automatically generated xen config file
name = "xen01"
memory = "512"
disk = [ 'tap:aio:/virt/xen01/xen01,xvda,w', ]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:16:98:ba, bridge=xenbr0', ]

uuid = "xxx"
bootloader="/usr/bin/pygrub"
vcpus=1
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

And finally, we want to parameter (set) the content of this guest as our "default" guest content for this OS guest
Then we'd like to use it to create new guest without having to do an OS Install
What is the best solution to do this ?
How could we copy the content of this guest to a new guest ?

 Thanks a ton

Pascal